Synthesis of History of the Camillians Hospital in Thailand
The Order of the Ministers of the Sick , popularly known as Camillians , is a Religious Institute founded by St.Camillus. It was officially approved as a new Congregation Order in 1591 and given the name of “ The order of the Servants of the Sick ”
This Religious Order had been developed and expanded through out various countries over the world , respectively. In Thailand , His Excellency Bishop Peter Carretto, Bishop of Rajchaburi Diocese had invited the Camillian Religious Order to open its activities in 1951 as the Camillian was well-known through all Catholic church for taking care of abandon people.The first group of three Camillian Missionaries arrived in Bangkok on 21st January 1952. They started by learning Thai Language at Bang Nok Kwaek for two months and proceeded to Ampoe Bann Pong, Rajchaburi Province to work at a small health center and later on became the San Camillo Hospital.
The first Health Center that the Camillian missionaries operated had been developed gradually by expanding serveral buildings to support the increase of needed people in Bann Pong area and the surrounding provinces. In the mean time, the efficiency for caring and treatment has also been increased through the upgrading of modern medical equipments. As a result the first health center of the Camillian Missionaries or “ San Camillo Hospital ” has been continuing in providing health services to people in Baan Pong area and nearby provinces for more than five decades up to now.
With the increase of members of Camillian Order , the activities have been expanded by renting a house at No.298, Suriwong Road , Bangkok on 1st February 1955 and served officially as Camillian Religious House on 11th April 1956. It functioned as a general clinic for treatment of general people in June of the same year by Dr.Pramual. However , the Camillians had moved the activities from the house at Suriwong Road to a new location at No.254/19 Silom Road , Bangkok and started the service from 22nd December 1957. The Camillian Order had bought a piece of land with the area of 4 Rai at Thong Lor area ( Sukumvit 55 ) on 9th March 1959 and constructed a two-storey building to provide proper health services.The activities at the House at Silom Road were moved to the new location of Thong Lor in March 1960. The official opening of this new place,so-called “ Camillian Clinic ” took place on 27th October 1960. It was a grand opening with the witness of many honorable guests, representative of Pope from Vatican,H.E. the Ambassador of Italy to Thailand , Religious ,etc. They came to congratulate for the second hospital of Camillian Order in Thailand. At that time, it was the responsible of Rev. Albino Turcato upto 3rd January 1961. It was followed by having the first Superior of Camillian House. Within a short period of time, this second hospital became the center of Camillian House in Thailand. In view of the fact that this place was located in the center between several houses of Camillian and it was more convenient for members of Camillian came for meeting and monthly retreat as well as purchasing the needed items for activities of each house,i.e. medical supply,equipments, etc. Especially at the early period, this place was the purchasing center for all. In the mean time, it was also more convenient for the visit of many foreign members of Camillian. Most of them came to provide support for activities of Camillian in Thailand.
The second hospital had been further developed by obtaining more modern medical equipments for better treatment with higher standard including the building to support the increase of the patients. The third building had completed on 30th November 1966. Some areas i.e. Out – patients Department ( OPD ) , Emergency Room ( ER ) and In – patients Department ( IPD ) had been renovated and upgraded to the standard of 25 beds hospital on 13th November 1967. The fourth building of six-storey was built in 1968 ( It had been destroyed after 31 years ) to support the increase number of patients of IPD. In 1975 the fifth building of five-storey was built and the third floor was used for the office of the St.Camillus Foundation of Thailand.
The Camillian Hospital has been working well continuing in spite of the increase of number of patients. At the same time , the management team of the hospital felt that there was a need to do something radical to expand the hospital capacity to cope with the growing number of patients. The project of expansion had started in 1980 and completed in 1986 which was the present building.
During the operation of t he hospital for the decade of 1990-2000 , the hospital had increased number of O.P.D. into three department to cope with the increase of number of patients. Our hospital had collaborated with the Government for the Social Security Scheme since the early of this decade and three was about a few thousand members of this scheme. We are proudly to say that at present we have around 90,000 members under this Social security health care scheme.
We have been working hard for the last decade to provide good services to our patients in the possible of high standard. We have been recognized by “ The Thai Healthcare Accreditation Institute ( Public Organization ) ” for the “ Hospital Accreditation ” on 21st December 2010. It was a good achievement for our hospital.
In spite of the fact that there are a lot of new challenges in the field of health care system nowadays , but we are not in any competition with other health care institution. Because we are always in the mandate of the holistic approach to our patients , we looked after all aspects of our patients’ needs , physical , social and mental. We maintain the spiritual of St.Camillus to provide services to patients.
What is the Meaning of the Camillian
Presence Nowadays in Such a Big Cidy as Bangkok
It might sound a rhetorical question, but the social economic and cultural changes of the last few years render this, apparently, simple question extremely actual.
When the Camillians founded the Hospital, it was located in a rural area, and it was of great help for the local community, which was in need of, practically, everything.
The development of such big metropolis, in the last few years, caused the Camillian Hospital to sit in an enviable, and sometimes, unapproachable part of Bangkok, Soi 55, Thong Lo, on the central Sukhumvit Road.
We feel privileged to be in the centre of business and banking districts, yet we instill the very same principle, which brought us here at the beginning, in our medical and paramedic personnel.
We are not here for business reasons, and we certainly do not speculate on the poor people, or on simple workers who represent the majority of our patients.
Our mission has slightly changed, and is changing with the times, and nowadays we extend our medical care in a way which approaches patients in a more personal way, with great respect for the human need.
Our constant reference is the original spirit transmitted by Saint Camillus: “To take care of our patients, as a loving mother takes care of her child”.
We therefore take care of the clinical needs of our patients, practicing, at the same time, the utmost care towards the human and spiritual needs, which are paramount in a situation of discomfort.
As soon as our staff is selected, we give them clear instructions on how careful they must be when approaching patients, who come with different clinical situations, but also, and possibly more important, with different backgrounds and family situations.
We have also proposed to introduce a workshop on the basic Christian Principles, which helps our staff to better understand our mission, which is not limited to the clinical aspect, but must concentrate, also, on the human implications.
We have received the “Hospital Accreditation, HA”, on 21 December 2010.
For more information: http://www.camillianhospital.org/
Get to know our social activities better with these videos below